Also known as the Xujiahui Library, though the sign outside reads Shanghai Library Bibliotecha Zi-Ka-Wei, this was the completed in 1847 for the Jesuit mission in China. It's arguably the first modern library in Shanghai. It became part of the Shanghai Library in 1953, and despite a renovation in 2003, it's still got this cool Old World feel to it, with big wooden desks and dark, packed shelves. They've got books in English, Russian, French and Chinese, as well as several Latin texts from the Catholic Church across the street. The oldest texts are available to researchers only, but they open up one of the reading rooms to the public from Mon-Sat, 9am-5pm.